Above my work table hangs this painting of five race horses rounding what could be the final turn heading for the home stretch. Every morning, after I get started, when I am in that space, I look at this painting and it gives me a boost and an appreciation for another day to run again. By run, I don’t mean literally running or racing, just grateful to be active, in fairly good shape and ready to go.
I have enormous gratitude for:
- The care of others who help feed, clothe and keep me safe, warm and ready to go.
- Purpose and meaning, focused on performing well.
- Energy and enthusiasm for the work that lies ahead.
- Having a partner who helps guide me on my journey.
- A “stable” of friends and colleagues who are in this together with me.
- Strength, health and a diet that nourishes & sustains me.
- Exercise and stretching mind, body and spirit that keep me going.
- Knowing that each of us is out there to do our best.
Even when we don’t win a prize, there is a sense of satisfaction knowing that we have run a good race, finished the course and are ready to do it all over again, looking forward to what lies ahead. Such a good way to be ready to start another day. My routines and agendas are not the same every day and, for me, that’s a good thing because I love the variety of challenges. Today it has to do with a new generator, an air compressor and some pre-winter preparations. Next week, back to school again.