EAGERSHIP – the ability, appetite and desire to lead…..eager leadership
Ten characteristics of the eager leader:
- Earned respect, trust and confidence from others
- Integrity, honesty, transparency
- Professional behavior and appearance
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal & written
- Knowledge based on experience, research, hard work
- Capacity to make difficult decisions and make them stick
- Skill in managing conflict and crisis
- Recognition and appreciation of others’ good work
- Strong interpersonal connections and relationships
- Strategic and tactical in both thought and actions
Whether seeking a leadership role or being asked to take one, two of the more defining aspects that we looked for in recruiting executives was the “appetite and desire” to lead. In recent years, many people have boiled those down into “passion” which can be seen and felt in a variety of ways.
It should be obvious that a leader needs to believe strongly in his or her personal and organizational “mission” and those beliefs need to be translated into meaningful purpose and actions. A leader without goals is like a ship without a rudder or a compass. You have to know what direction you want to go and how to get there. As an eager leader you must also know how to set the pace, not going too fast, nor too slow.
Passion, skill, experience and success are all powerful ingredients and yet there is no recipe or formula that will guarantee a desired outcome. Even those who have been successful in one place cannot be sure that will work in a different environment or culture with different people and personalities.
There appears to be a dearth of trusted leaders in today’s world, at every level, and thus the need for those willing to step up to the invitation and challenge. Could this be your time to accept or to seek such a position? If you have the characteristics of the “eager leader” please consider where you might be of service. Thank you in advance for your consideration.